“Simply the best Alexander Technique courses anywhere… well worth attending.” —Nick Erickson, Professor of Theatre
How we feel is revealed by how we move
We are designed for movement.
Inherent in our design is an incredible capacity for ease, flexibility, power, and expressiveness, whether we are dancing, hammering a nail, working at a computer, singing or simply walking.
All too often we unknowingly interfere with this design as we perform our daily activities.
Energy, delight, and grace are replaced by effort, tension, and fatigue.
What Is The Alexander Technique?
The Alexander Technique offers a clear, systematic look into the underlying principles that govern human movement.
When applied, these principles guide us to a dynamic experience of kinesthetic lightness, wherein thinking becomes clearer, feelings balanced, sensations livelier, and movement more pleasurable.
Within this integrated, more conscious condition, we find our actions strengthened and refined, our sense of time expanded, and our rapport with the environment restored.
Programs Designed to Meet Your Individual Level
- New Students: Build a practical foundation in the Alexander Technique.
- Experienced Students: Deepen your Alexander studies and understanding of this psycho-physical work.
- Alexander Teacher Trainees: Complement your training with an international mix of qualified teacher trainers.
- Alexander Teachers: Enjoy advanced training in Master Classes taught by senior teachers.
Who Studies the Alexander Technique?
- Anyone who has physical or emotional discomfort due to stress, postural habits, movement problems, old injuries, or poor self-esteem.
- Performing artists.
- Athletes and martial artists.
- Voice and movement educators.
- Psychologists and physical therapists.
- Public speakers and business professionals.
- Horse riders of all levels and forms.
What it can do for you
- Reduce tension and stress in everyday activities (walking, cooking, sitting at a computer, driving a car).
- Deepen awareness in specialized activities such as Yoga, Pilates, and Martial Arts.
- Enhance presentation skills by overcoming fear and stage fright.
- Improve skills in sports (golf, tennis, running, swimming) and performing arts (dancing, singing, playing a musical instrument, acting).
- Learn to relieve chronic pain from lower back syndrome, neck and shoulder tension, runner’s knee, tennis elbow.
- Prevent future injuries.
- Improve posture, coordination, and self-awareness.
- Increase energy and mental clarity
The Spirit of the Place
Above all the community spirit that is created during these 5-Day Retreats are remarkable and enjoyable to experience. We all have fun together in a beautiful setting…making new friends and reconnecting with past friendships…while learning something that is extremely practical and “life-changing” at the same time. Please come and join us at the Serra Retreat Center in Malibu, California • Acacia Mansion in Ojai, California • New Retreat! Villa Ducci in San Gimignano, Italy
“…The demands of modern life have fostered a virtual epidemic of neck, back, and other problems related to misaligned posture and improperly tensed muscles. Basically, the Alexander Technique helps people with chronic pain and tension shed long-established habits and relearn how to use their bodies with ease and grace.” —Jane Brody, New York Times
An example of non-habitual thinking at its best…
Norman Doidge, author of The Brain That Changes Itself
talking about ‘Brain Plasticity’…
Lack of Focus May Become Habitual
This comic spoof is simply showcasing how a life of fragmented thinking accumulates over time into ineffectual behavior. This applies to the Alexander Technique because it can give you tools to learn how to carry a decision through to the end, against the habits of a lifetime.